Friday, March 20, 2009

Earth Day...(just for a day?...actually just an hour)

Ok..on the 28th of April, every light will go 'black out' for 1 hour. I'm sure most of us are aware of this campaign. It have been widely advertised in the local TV stations. Watch this.



Now I'm gonna rant on this, you can skip this part if you felt like doing so.

I don't know why but somehow this campaign is seems like just an
effort to make some of us feel good as if we are doing something to help in reducing the global warming effect. Call me pessimist, sarcastic or anything but that is just how I felt on this campaign.

Some might say "at least we are doing something". Yeah...but this campaign seems to be too commercialize here in Malaysia and it somehow defeat the main purpose of it. Most of us are induce to it just because of its hype. They are like showing this seemingly cool ads in TV as if it is a cool thing to do.

Ok..they do convey the message about preserving earth so it will last longer (though earth
will die eventually) but does these message really heard as in 'physically done' by us Malaysian?

While typing this post, my light is on, my small table fan is on, my laptop is on....and that's it. The toilet light is off, living room fan is off (the light is still on though), my fridge is on...and..yeah..that's all. I don't have air-cond.

I don't buy newspaper, I read it online, I recycled my thrash which consists of cans, bottles and paper bags.

But does that makes me an environmentally friendly person? No.
-I still drive my car around,
-I still surf the internet,
-I don't recycle food left over (Unless I'm at my
kampung, all of the left overs are feed to my dogs),
-I still use plastic bags when shopping in Giant or Tesco supermarket,
-I occasionally litters in public if there were no thrash bin to be found,
-when using the public toilet or my home rest room, I flush a huge amount of water as if I'm dumping a huge pile of shit even though I'm just taking a small piss,
-Sometimes I kill time by playing PS2 and jamming mindlessly with my electric guitar.
-Stay late just to watch football games with my friends.

What about you? You also do it don't you..
And now...an hour without light....hmm...what happens after that?
Well.. at least it convey the message, metaphorically..

p/s: I'll switch off everything that has to do with electricity during that day..literally, and go out with some friends for some teh tarik at the mamak stall..hehe..

2 comments:

  1. Even this idea is a little too commercial, they should start with a weekly earth hour and then proceed from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..if every week also do..it's going to look like a chore..and everybody (almost everybody la..) hate chores..

    ReplyDelete