Saturday, April 25, 2009

My new, cheap car..

White
Ok..this is my new car.. Proton Saga BLM. It's cheap, affordable and way better than my previous car, Perodua Viva. Maybe you'll say it's not fair to compare it with Viva. They are in a different segment. Viva is a compact car and Saga is a sedan. So what? Their price is almost the same yet you get different quality (and Viva is totally 'owned' by Saga).

Ok, now I want to review/rant on this Saga. If you want a professional review, go to Paultan.org. My review is based on my own experience and comparison between Viva and Saga.

In my previous post, I already said that Saga is not as fuel economic as compared to Viva. Well, it's a 1.3cc vs 1.0cc. It's a no brainer really. I also mention that there are some minor things that I dislike about Saga. Here they are..

1. The signal lever.

Left, right, high light, low light, no light..

wiper, spray me water..
I feel so odd operating it with my left hand. And it's not practical for manual transmission. You can't shift the gear and signaling to go to the left or right at the same time. You have to have both of your hand on the steering wheel. You either shift your gear first or turn the signal first. Unless you are driving an automatic gear....umm..on the both hand on steering wheel part, ok..it's for safety...but still...I like it better flicking the lever with my right hand (or fingers) while my left hand shift the gear at the same time.

2. There are no space for change and coins.

air bag?
The only place is at the cup/bottle holder (?) in front of the air-cond control dial or in the empty air-bag space on the dash board. This is inconvenient in case you want to pay the parking ticket or toll.

3. The power outlet, wrong place.

I wonder weather they know the existence of MP3 modulator that you stick in the power outlet.

4. Bad craftsmanship on the little, unnoticed yet easily broken parts.


It really bothers me since it will shorten the life span of these kind of parts. It might get easily broken. Especially if you have 4-6 years old kids.

5. The CD player.


The CD player is from Clarion. But I felt odd since the volume knob is placed on the left side which is further from the driver's reach (not that I can't reach it though). But you can always change the player to a better one. tapi kluar duit lagi..aiya..

6. The air-cond vent.

looks like a face..
I cant find the right car freshener or perfume or whatever you call it. The vent is different.

7. I don't know what's it for.


And this part, under the steering wheel, I don't know what's it for. Steering lock? Books? Guns?

8. More bad craftsmanship.

expose wire under dashboard.

exposed wire lagi...
After a long wear and tear, these are definitely going to get you in trouble in the future.

But over all, I still like this car compared to Viva. The handling, safety, comfort. So, if you're thinking of buying Viva over Saga as your first car..think again. Trust me, you'll regret it if you do so..if Viva is going to be your 2nd, 3rd or pigi pasar car...you are a rich person. So, spent your money, our domestic economy liquidity needs it.

Perodua people, sorry..but your Viva is suck even though it has a Daihatsu DNA.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, VIVA is crap compared to SAGA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet people will still buy Viva and end up regretting it..some of them la..like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice review :)



    Proton fan from Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  4. as for point 7 you can use this space for change and coins(that's what i do anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, the price of Proton Saga is not very high! Proton cars are cost-effective actually!

    ReplyDelete