Friday, September 4, 2009

Fuel..RON95 or RON97...or is it the price?

Yup...it's been 5 days since our Gov decided to phase out RON92 with RON95. I've been pumping RON97. Now I have no choice but to pump RON95 instead since RON97 is a bit pricier than before.

RON95 is RM1.80 per liter and RON97 is RM2.05 per liter.

It doesn't feel the same as before. Now my car engine are a bit noisy. I also get an occasional 'knocking' effect on the engine. In which I never had when I was using RON97. And getting up a hill needs a bit 'flooring' on the gas pedal which surely cost me more. About the mileage, I'm not so sure since I'm more of a city driving than long distance.


Went to Semenyih last Monday. RM30 (from an almost empty tank) for RON95 yet I still manage to drive from Klang to Semenyih and came back to Klang without refilling my tank. I had full 4 adult passengers (5 including me) and a my boot was also full. No problem.. But the price wasn't risen yet until Tuesday...so..next time, I might have to fill more than RM30..ouch..

Oh, for now, I'm pumping at Petronas. So, different brand like Shell, Esso/Mobile, Caltex, BHP might give different result. I'm yet to try all of them though. Still searching for the best petrol station. Thinking on pumping at a different petrol station on my next empty tank.

Most of the comment I read in blogs, forums, are saying that RON95 cause your car to be less performing and less mileage. Well, it's a no brainer really since it's a RON95 petrol. RON97 would definitely be better since it burn better. So the engine would perform better. Technically. More on this here> link.

But, since the main concern is the fuel saving value issue, it doesn't matter which RON one use as long as it doesn't damage the engine. Because some engine can't use RON95 like Honda Civic type R, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and othe high performance car where the minimum requirement is RON97. More on this here> link1. link2.

It is more on how we drive the car. If one use RON97 and always rev his/her car more than 3,000rpm, he/she would be burning more compared to someone who use RON95 and drive smartly and not revving his/her car past 3,000rpm.

So, just use whatever RON that is suitable for our car engine and our wallet.

Well, that is if I'm viewing this issue in a positive perspective...
For a not so positive perspective...
- Those who used RON92 before have to pay more since RON95 is the minimum spec for petrol in Malaysia.
- Those who used RON97 before can opt for RON95 yet also have to pay more for a lower grade petrol.
- Those who own a car which requires a minimum RON97 petrol have to pay even more since they can't use RON95.
- It's not about the RON, it's about the price.

The not-so positive view is quite short eh..but it sums it all..

3 comments:

  1. Most countries moving forward, to Ron99 but we are going backwards because some politicians wanna make extra money in their pockets.

    Malaysia boleh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. We are going backwards.

    Do share ah which station gives you the best petrol.
    I'm used to using Shell but maybe I'll try Petronas for a change. Is that a good idea?

    Lama-lama naik biskal la ni

    ReplyDelete
  3. gallivanter: Ron99? 2020 maybe...nah..

    cicak: Shell is not so good la for me..cepat habis.. or maybe I injak my gas pedal too much..hehe

    ReplyDelete